<$BlogRSDURL$>
Justin's Microbiology Journal
Friday, May 21, 2004
 
Hard at work studying the immune system. I've got to say this is some of the harder biology for me to understand so far.

Last few days I've covered immune response, antigens, T Cells, cellular immunity, antibodies, immunization, and immune response diseases.

Right now I'm working more specifically on molecular immunology. Looking at the details of the immunoglobin gene superfamily, major histocompatibility complex cellular membrane proteins, antibody proteins and antigen binding, TCR proteins and genes, and molecular signals in immunity.

I've also started a rough draft of my resume. Since I haven't written one for 9+ years, I'm not sure what I need to say. I think I can leave off anything more than 15 or so years old.

I'm also a bit sick right now, probably a rhinovirus from Elena, who's had a runny nose, sore throat recently. Going through the first stages where the virus is causing minor rhinitis, general malaise, and sore throat.

Rhinoviruses are single stranded RNA viruses in the picornavirus group, although other viruses cause colds as well. Coronaviruses (like the SARS family) cause about 15% of colds, adenoviruses, coxsackie viruses, respiratory synctial viruses and orthomyxoviruses cause a total of around 10%.

We really don't have any effective antiviral drugs, although work is ongoing. One such drug is called WIN 52084 binds to the virus surface and disrupts the cellular binding site.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger